Hello BMA members,
The BMA would like to ensure you are all informed of the option for COBRA coverage available to dependents that have reached the age limit to qualify as a dependent under your UHC vision plan. Here is a bullet point list of important things to know regarding COBRA coverage.
- Dependents coverage ends at the end of the month in which they turn 26 years of age.
- Adult dependents may continue coverage under federal COBRA for 18 months from the month in which they turn 26 years of age.
- UHC will send out noticed upon termination informing the member of their COBRA rights
- Ex-spouses may continue coverage under federal COBRA for 18 months from the month in which a divorce is final.
- Adult dependents and ex-spouses have 60 days in which to apply for federal COBRA.
- Adult dependents and ex-spouses must apply under their own name with the BMA for coverage using the UHC enrollment form.
- The adult dependents and ex-spouses would have coverage under their own name and social security number.
- Premiums would be paid by the adult dependent or ex-spouse directly to the BMA, not through member payroll deductions.
- The BMA would manage and collect premiums for those under federal COBRA.
- Federal COBRA premiums are 102% ($15.54/month) of the normal rate.
- Federal COBRA premiums are charged semi-annually (Jan. – June & July – Dec.) by the BMA. If the COBRA member requests, we will allow for monthly premium billing.
- Federal COBRA premiums have a 30-day grace period prior to terminating coverage for non-payment
- CalCOBRA (extension of federal COBRA) allows for an additional 18 months of coverage, for a total of 36 months.
- The adult dependent or ex-spouse must reside in the state of California to be eligible for CalCOBRA.
- UHC manages and collect premiums for those under CalCOBRA.
- CalCOBRA premiums are 110% ($16.76/month) of the normal rate.
- Premiums have a 30-day grace period prior to terminating coverage for non-payment
If you have any questions regarding COBRA coverage, please contact Steven Aragon, BMA Treasurer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.